Friday, May 23, 2014

Cleaning up

It's been a very busy cleaning week here. Just how does everything get so dirty, and how do I not notice it all winter long? I'm blaming the sunshine. It just brightens everything so that I can see the dirt. Even in the corners!

As part of my cleanup, I finally put the bindings on these two quilts, so now they are finally completely finished. The first is this one:


(I always wondered why bloggers put their quilts out on the grass. Now I know--there's no place else that's big enough!)

This quilt is made from traditional Lady of the Lake blocks in various batiks that I had laying around. The border kind of blends into the grass, but it's a batik as well. Those fabrics and some triangle paper made this super easy. The block pattern was in one of Judy Martin's block books, and it was super easy as well. I am really pleased with how it turned out.

This next one was a block-of-the-month from 2010 (!), which I just finished this week.


I sewed most of the blocks in 2010, and then hit a snag and put it away. (I'm sure that no one else has ever done that.) I pulled it out again earlier this year and just finished the binding, only four years later. I wasn't sure about the dark green block frames and inner border, but it works. I used that same dark green as the binding. I'm pretty pleased with this one too!

For anyone who's been following along, I am STILL working on Celtic Solstice, a tiny bit at a time. I am actually making progress, so I have high hopes of finishing it soon.  The pattern calls for a border that I won't be using in my quilt, but I had already made the units, so yesterday I found something else to do with them.


These are tri-recs units put together to make these pinwheel-type blocks. (I've been calling them "kick" blocks, because they look to me like they're kicking.) When they're all together like this, I think they look like flowers. I'm thinking of a pink sashing and a floral border:


Won't this be a cute quilt for a little girl? I have enough of the tri-recs units for 24 blocks, but I have more cut, so I may end up making a few more to make it bigger since these finish at 6 inches. I think this counts as using up green scraps, don't you?

I've also started cutting for the Fiesta Pinwheels quilt. I chose this color distribution, with the red center:


I think it's going to be very festive! And it's certainly cheerful to work on, no doubt about that.

Hope everyone has a lovely Memorial Day weekend! We are supposed to have terrific weather, and we'll be spending Memorial Day at the ballpark. It should be fun!

Linking up with Sarah and Amanda and Angela again. It's a holiday weekend, so lots of time for you to check out everyone's projects!

See you on Tuesday!

11 comments:

Shauna said...

Love both quilts, but the BOM is just so so pretty. I love how you used up the border blocks, I think your title is perfect

Sarah Craig said...

Love the two quilts! And I like your block pattern using the tri-rec blocks - although I see it more as a little boy quilt! I love that deep green color! Whoop whoop!!

Terri Ann @ ChildlikeFascination.com said...

The second quilt I ever started lived in a Rubbermaid bin for almost 2 years before I took it out to finish it up. Now it's been sitting for 5 months waiting to have the binding finished. Quilts like sitting around, makes them ripen better :) Both of those quilts are just lovely

scraphappy said...

I have never seen the "kick" block before, but I really like it! I have a tri-rec ruler and I'm off to try it now. thanks for the inspiration!

make.share.give said...

What a great post! So much to enjoy!

Terri said...

Love your quilts and the color combos, too. I'm joining up so I can see more!
Hugs

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love both of your quilts!I think taking photos outside is always a good idea the lighting is so much better.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love both of your quilts!I think taking photos outside is always a good idea the lighting is so much better.

Kate said...

Beautiful quilts! Congrats on the finishes. Your plan for your CS border blocks is inspired.

Nell's Quilts said...

Two lovely finishes. Those little extra blocks are so cute. Kick blocks - what an appropriate name! Someone is sure to love the quilt.

Deb A said...

Such pretty quilts! Congrats on the finishes. Love how you put those blocks together to form that neat flower pattern. A very pretty girl quilt in the making.